Monday, May 17, 2010

Big Food

This weekend we had some family in town, and for dinner one night we chose a place I've been waiting to try for a while now: Hash House a Go Go. They call it "Twisted Farm Food," and since I like twisted (occasionally) and farm food (usually), I figured it would be terrific. A friend that's been there said the food is great and enormous. I didn't understand.

Their food was actually... absurd. Seriously. It was really delicious, and really REALLY HUGE. I laughed out loud when they set down my husband's dinner plate. I couldn't help it. The plate took up his entire side and part of mine. If we had ordered the same thing, we couldn't have sat across from each other... our plates would have been hanging over the side. Picture Fred Flintstone and the brontosaurus ribs... it was that ridiculous. His dad ordered the chicken pot pie, and when he was finished eating, it looked exactly the same as when it arrived. We've had leftovers for days now.

On our way home, we mulled over why they chose to make the portions so immense. It's not like the prices were outrageous. We paid the same for an entree there as we would have at most other sit-down type places, and far less than we could have paid. I'm fairly confident our family of four could have eaten one $15.95 entree and still taken home leftovers. In this society of excess, why contribute? I honestly don't know the answer. The best we could come up with is that the sheer silliness kept us talking about the place long after we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment