Saturday, May 22, 2010

Anticipatory Eating

Do you ever find yourself eating more than you probably should in a day because you know you have something out of the ordinary planned, and you're not sure when you'll have a chance to eat? Or worse - and this is where I'm 100% guilty - have you ever started eating more because you were just planning to go to the gym, but you somehow never got there? *sheepishly raises hand* That's me.

A couple weeks ago I had to modify my work schedule. Alright, the truth is they told me I had better start actually getting there on time instead of 10-15 minutes late every day. I'm a horrible morning person and now you know. I would stay up until 4am and sleep 'til noon every day if I could. Somehow I decided that the best way to ensure that I was up and moving and on time to work was to get to the gym every morning for an hour-long class at 6am, then shower and dress for work at the gym. (I probably decided this in the morning, so the two morning things should have canceled each other out... why did this not happen?!)

Once I made the decision to get up 1.5 hours earlier than absolutely necessary, I found myself starting to eat more during the day. In anticipation of the workout I was planning the next morning. And then I was failing to get out of bed on time to actually make it to the class! I made it there like twice this week, twice last week, and maybe once the week before. This is bad on so many levels that I should probably just delete this now and never admit to anyone what a complete idiot I am.

First off... since I'm trying to lose weight, I should be increasing gym time and not increasing calorie intake. Secondly, even if I might need an extra *small* snack on days I work out twice, I certainly don't need it in anticipation of a work out that may or may not happen.

Does anyone else do this? Have you found a way to stop? Because if I keep this up, I'm going to have to rename the blog and I would hate that. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. I do it with money instead of food- does that count? Only way I can control the spending thing is to not bring more with me than I can afford to spend.

    Have you thought about maybe going to 5 meals a day or something? That way there's less time between meals to get hungry, your blood sugar stays more even. And if you feel like something "splurgy" there's an allowance for it- you just have your junky snack instead of a meal. So instead of 3 500 calorie meals and two 150 cal snacks (or whatever), you'd do 5 350 calorie meals, with a nice carb/ fat/ protien mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. j., I think it would be kinda scary to shop with a set dollar amount, and no way to pay if you went over by a few cents. I would be embarrassed if the total came to like $20.07 or something, and there was no easy way to take off something for 7 cents. How do you deal with something like this? I know your budget is so careful already.

    As for the 5 meals a day... I already do that! Sorta. In reality it's more like what you said... 3 meals and 2 snacks. I'm trying to keep my calories down to 1300-1400/day. So it's more like 2 300 calories meals, 2 150 snacks and then a 400-500 dinner.

    My downfall is the late afternoon/early evening time between the gym and dinner. I'm already in the kitchen prepping dinner, and I find myself mindlessly munching during this time because I'm legitimately hungry after a workout, but dinner isn't ready yet. I have to find a way to be more mindful of the eating.

    Does anyone else find themselves randomly eating while cooking? Have you found any ways to keep from doing this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i try to put the stuff on the belt in the order of importance, then I can stop them if I added wrong while shopping, or if the total is over, I can have them just take the last thing off. So long as it's just one or two things cashiers don't mind- digging thru bags for random stuff to pull of is super annoying, tho.

    Hmmm. Have you tried something with plenty of fiber and some fast burning carbs as an after-workout, on the way home-type snack? something like home-made granola, with oats to fill you up, and fruit to perk you up? It doesn't even have to be granola- if you can bring yourself to eat it, a quater cup of oats, plus a bit of dried or fresh fruit and a couple nuts in a baggie, with some hot watter added is a great transportable snack, not a lot of calories, and a nice balance- and should be under the 150 limit, if you're careful measuring the extras.

    I guess the one main bonus to my budget is that there isn't much lying around to be snacked on- it all needs to be prepped or cooked first, so I just wait until the "real" food is done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're apparently on the same wavelength...

    This is what I eat after my workout. It counts as one of my 150 snacks:
    http://www.genisoy.com/products/bars/ultra-bars/
    Some fiber, some sugar, some protein... and they're tasty to boot. I like the tropical ones best and I've also had the strawberry which are good too. I get them on eBay for ~30 cents a bar, so not too spendy.

    I like your idea of ringing up purchases in the order of importance. I've never kept such a strict budget as you before, but I can totally see how that would work and not be too complicated. I guess the real question is: do the sweet potatoes get offended if you rank the onions first? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol- I go back and forth from the "estimating" electric scale until I get within 10 cents. if it ever gets to the point that I can't afford sweet potatoes, I'll have something really seriously wrong with me or I'll bring my big fancy calculator shopping, rather than doing sums in my head. It's the zucchini I worry about- I keep passing them over for their cheaper/ easier cousins. I fear they may be plotting revenge.

    My thought with the actual oatmeal is that it's got more volume (once you add water, anyway), so it's already more bulky, and it's a more sensual experience, letting your brain think it's maybe better or more filling than it really is, even in a bag. Bars can go down fast, 'specially when they taste good. You could even make it more like a "real" meal by using a re-purposed jelly jar instead of a baggy.

    If *you* think you had (well balanced) real food, maybe your stomach will too. Dratted brains make everything tougher, no?

    ReplyDelete